If you stop by our Fletcher Mission Center on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday, chances are you’ll soon spot the trademark blue brim and handy clipboard of our one of our favorite community members-turned-faithful volunteer. Emilio, born and raised here in “H-town” as he refers to Houston, has been serving at Fletcher for the past year and a half.
“I think we might need more than just the two of us to unload everything,” the community missions pastor from a local church said with a wry grin. Minutes before, Adam (not his real name) had pulled up into our small parking lot at Gano and knocked on the door to announce the welcome arrival of a large food, clothing and toy donation.
- Know the National Hotline # 1.888.3737-888 (1.888.373.7888)
- Pray for direction and wisdom
- Do not exploit victims or dramatize their stories for your own benefit
- Educate yourself
- Work with law enforcement
- Be aware
- http://houstonrr.org/ – Houston Rescue and Restore Coalition
- http://www.freethecaptiveshouston.com/ – Free the Captives, Houston
- http://traffickstop.org/ – Traffick Stop, Texas
- http://www.thehomefoundation.net/ctsa/ – Christian Trafficking Shelter Association
What Can You Do?
- Develop resources for the faith-based community
- Be an advocate
- Educate youth and immigrants
- Purchase slave-free products – use your resources to take a stand
Sunday, February 5, 2012 is the date for Super Bowl XLVI AND it’s the day you and your church can tackle hunger in Houston by participating in the Souper Bowl of Caring. The Mission Centers of Houston have food pantries at both Gano Mission Center and Joy Fellowship Center. In November alone we distributed food to 4,017 people.
We rely on donations from churches and individuals and in 2012 our budget relies on $13,000 to come from the Souper Bowl of Caring. This fundraiser only asks for $1 from each person to tackle hunger in Houston. It is a great example of how we all work together to minister as fellow laborers in Christ. All you need to do is have youth or children hold soup pots for the donations at the exits of your worship centers at the close of your Sunday service on February 5. Invite each person to drop a $1 donation in the soup pot then mail your donation directly to Mission Centers of Houston, P.O. Box 30417, Houston, TX, 77249. Just write, “Souper Bowl” on your check to designate your offering.
Be sure to let us know that your church will partner with us on Souper Bowl Sunday so we can be in prayer for your services. Thank you! For more information check out www.souperbowl.org or www.missioncenters.org. You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.