Immediate need for volunteers to help with a major construction project at Joy Fellowship Center
I. Purpose: Mission Centers of Houston has been working for years to raise money and support to build a residential house across the street from Joy Fellowship Center (7629 Ave. F., Houston, TX 77012). The purpose of the house is to provide living space for leadership staff of Joy Center. Staff must live on-site to provide security and develop community relationships.
II. Plan: A contractor has volunteered his time to create blueprints, obtain City permits and oversee construction. On April 4, 2013, the City of Houston granted permits to build. Construction is expected to start within the next 10 days. The goal is to have the house completed by June 1, 2013.
III. Need: To keep expenses within budget, we need teams of volunteers to assist with all phases of this project (foundation, framing, interior finishing, siding, roofing, etc.).
- Our contractor will provide all tools and supervision.
- Required skill levels vary during each phase. However, ALL skill levels are needed. On-the-job-training will be provided for most jobs.
- Time commitments vary during each phase of construction. Some jobs require one day; others may require multiple days.
IV. Volunteer Opportunities:
- 6-8 strong volunteers to dig beams and tie rebar (Estimated time commitment: 10 days)
- 12 volunteers to frame the deck (nail guns will be provided)
- 12 volunteers to lay plywood and frame the entire house (Estimated time commitment: 1-2 weeks)
- 8 men to roof the house (Estimated time commitment: 1 day)
- 8-10 volunteers to hang vinyl siding and windows (Estimated time commitment: 2 days)
- Groups to finish the house (hang sheetrock, lay flooring, paint, install cabinets, hardware, etc.) Date to be determined.
V. In-Kind donations needed (household items need to be NEW):
- Ceiling fans (6 total; surface mount)
- Gas ranges (2 total; white)
- Microwaves (2 total; countertop)
- Refrigerators (2 total; white)
- Cabinets for kitchens (2 kitchens)
- Cabinet hardware
- Bathroom hardware (3 faucets, 3 shower/tub)
- Fluorescent lights for kitchens (2 total, flush mount)
- Contractor who currently holds a bond to cut the driveway apron (that we can use their bond and not have to pay a new fee)
- Concrete driveway (approximately 25’ x 35’). We need concrete and delivery
- 1 double garage door opener (with remote)
- 1 single garage door opener (with remote)
- Flooring (carpet and ceramic)
- Paint (Ask about colors)
- Roll-off dumpster for construction debris
- Metal cages for 2 a/c units
- Door hardware (interior and exterior)
- Window blinds
For more information about the project contact:
Ginger Smith, email@example.com, 713-227-0304 ext. 104.
For information about volunteering contact:
Craig Taylor, firstname.lastname@example.org, 713-227-0304 ext. 107.